- National Rifle Association Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, and personal home defense
- Retired British Police Officer of 21 years Service
- Registered Instructor with the National Small bore Rifle Association of Great Britain (N.S.R.A.)
- Certified Club Coach (Pistol) of the National Rifle Association (N.R.A.) of Great Britain
- Endowment Life Member of the United States National Rifle Association (N.R.A.)
- Curio and Relic License (C. & R.) with the Bureau of Alcohol Firearms and Tobacco of the United States
- CCDW License Holder - Kentucky State
- State of Kentucky Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon Certified Instructor
- State of Kentucky Certified CCDW Instructor Trainer
- TEAM SASS Director for Kentucky State
- Member SASS (Single Action Shooting Society)
- Member U.S Practical Shooting Association
- Member Ohio Gun Collectors Association.
- Member Handgun Club of America
- Member Gun Owners of America
- Member Contemporary Longrifle Association
Author of 9 books, available for sale through the school.
- Debarred the Use of Arms
- Compulsion to Kill
- The Gun Free Killing Zones of America
- Home Defender (by Steve & Eva Challis)
- Just an Ordinary Copper
- The White Silk Scarf
- Wildcat Mountain
- Death Before Dishonor
- Cruel is the Snow
- Endowment Member National Rifle Association
- Certified NRA Instructor for Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun and Personal Home Defense, Home Firearms Safety
- Kentucky C.C.D.W. permit holder
- Kentucky Certified Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon Instructor
- Kentucky Certified Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon Instructor Trainer
- Member Ohio Gun Collectors Association
- 60+ years of Pistol, Revolver and Rifle handling/shooting, and big and small game (From Bear & Cougar to Rats) hunting experience
- Enjoy shooting black powder handguns and rifles
- Certified Kentucky Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon Instructor
- Benefactor member of the NRA
- Life Member Single Action Shooting Society (SASS)
- Field Instructor for Muzzleloading Education, Approved by 'International Hunter Education Association', All muzzleloading firearms
- NRA Certified Instructor for; Home Firearm Safety, Muzzleloading Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun, Modern Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home
- National Muzzleloading Rifle Association (NMLRA) Instructor, Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
- 64+ years of Muzzleloading and Modern Firearms use and experience
His family has lived in the area since before the Civil war. He is well known in the Mount Sterling Area for his work with the State Hunter Education Program and as a Montgomery County High School Teacher. Tandy is a highly respected military Historian and a highly skilled black powder expert. Tandy has joined us as a part time instructor and will be much in evidence during our summer events. In particular, during our July 4th open day, he will be supervising and advising on the historic weapons that will be on display.
Jim is a full time school teacher and also a local Pastor in Grayson, Kentucky. Him and his wife, have been long time assistant instructors here at Harmony Hollow.
Jim Certified to instruct Kentucky Concealed Carry training classes at the beginning of this year. He is a very qualified Instructor and marksman in his own rite and we recommend him highly to individuals who wish to acquire their CCDW permit.
He is now offering classes in Grayson, KY
Please contact Jim for his location & dates and times of scheduled classes.
Contact Number: 606-748-3364
Currently Assistant Armorer Meridian Ordnance
Team Lead Army National Guard
Word Processor III L-3 Communications
Weapon Craft Instructor Program, Dynamic Close Quarter and Range Marksmanship Instruction
Doublestar Training Academy AR-15 Armorer, AR-15 Armorer Class
3rd Non-Commissioned Officers Academy, Graduated, Warrior Leadership Course
Fires Center for Excellence, Graduated, Field Artillery Tactical Automated Data Systems Specialist
BCTC, Information Technology
Please welcome Dylan, our new Range Officer.
He is a shooting enthusiast of all types of guns, new and old, handguns and rifles.
Currently in ROTC, Montgomery County
He will be assisting us during courses of all types.
* * * * *
Courses are carried out locally at our private range outside of Jeffersonville, KY
Call us at 859-498-0582
If we are not available, please leave a message and we will get back in touch with you.
for further details.
(NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC)
We have 6 dedicated ranges at Harmony Hollow plus one Practice range.
All ranges are named after people whose feats of heroism and/or achievements have helped protect America and supported the second amendment.
GRATIA HUPP is our CCDW range used for both CCDW and basic pistol training. Named after Suzanna Gratia Hupp who witnessed the murder of her parents in a Texas cafeteria and fought for 12 years as a State Legislator to support CCW in Texas and elsewhere.
YORK RANGE is our general range for Hunter Education, PPITH and most general exercises. Named after Congressional Medal of honor Winner Sgt. Alvin York who used his 1911 pistol and Springfield Rifle to shoot 20 Germans. It also included 6 who rushed his position and were killed with six shots from his 1911. In all, he captured 132 enemy soldiers that day.
THOMPSON is our home invasion and domestic threat range named after Jack Thompson, a 78 year old Kentucky homeowner. He used a handgun kept under his pillow, when two teenage home invaders broke into his house in the early hours of the morning.
Jack fire 3 shots wounding one and causing the other to flee.
MURPHY is our 100 yard range used for basic and tactical rifle as well as zeroing hunting rifles. Named after colonial sharpshooter Timothy Murphy who shot Redcoat General Simon Fraser at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777. This shot turned the battle in favor of the Continental Army.
KYLE is our Tactical combat range, a woodland area used for tactical rifle and advanced
training. Named after US Navy Seal Christoper Kyle who is the most prolific sniper in US history and earned the title of the Devil of Ramaldi from the insurgents whom he targeted in Iraq and Afghanistan.
DAVIS is our practice range and also the closest to our residence. Named after Alamo defender John Davis, a Kentuckian who fought and died with Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie in 1836 in the cause of freedom.
Testimonials from our students
a great day with everyone learned alot from the instructors. Couldn't
have asked for better people to get it done and the chili was great also
THANKS again for all you taught us your both amazing
awesome day! Steve and Eva are professional, ethical, knowledgeable,
and interject a modicum of humor with a very serious subject! And Eva
makes the best chili ever...I had two bowls so Steve wouldn't have to
eat left overs for too long (wink, wink). Thank you both
Thanks for the great class we had sat XXXX XX learned alot and you all were great instructors
Concealed Carry Student
RR, Mount Sterling
* (2017) Instructors were very clear, made students comfortable in asking questions. Instructors taught to proficiency.
Concealed Carry Student
* (2017) I would recommend this course to anyone and would say the course is very knowledgeable, and the instructors were enjoyable and entertaining, but professional too.
Concealed Carry Student
* (2017) I did my conceal carry instructor training at Harmony Hollow on September 16th - 17th and wanted to say Steve and Eva are excellent teachers. The training was precise and broken down into sections making the information easy to retain. They went well above the norm and exceeded my expectations for the class. I highly recommend Harmony Hollow for any firearms training they offer.
* (2017) I did my conceal carry training with Steve and Eva a couple weekends
ago. The training was very detailed and accurate. They did a great job
answering my questions, they were
very patient. The whole day from start to finish was perfect. I would
recommend Harmony Hollow to anyone and everyone. I hope to take more
classes in the future, they are willing to take my disabilities into consideration.
would highly recommend attending any class that Steve and Eva teach.
They are a dynamic duo of sorts, with tons of knowledge and experience.
They welcomed me with patience and understanding of what I was hoping to
achieve from my training, and adjusted
their lesson for me. I am from
the Louisville, KY area and drove two hours both ways to attend, and will
happily do it again for another class, or shooting event. Thank you,
Steve and Eva!!! You made my experience wonderful!!! :-))
*Steve and Eva are top notch instructors. Very professional and knowledgeable about the subject matter.
J.K. Berea, KY
*Steve and Eva are great instructors. I look forward to taking more courses from them.
K.M. Richmond, KY
*Steve and Eva are Excellent.
M.J. Lexington, KY
*I really enjoyed the Course and learned and benefited much from your
instruction and experience. I particularly liked being able to get to
fire so many classic rifles as well as my own! Eva you are a great cook
and I so enjoyed the fine dinner you put on.
R.B. Simpsonville, Ky
*Really liked the relaxed atmosphere of the class while at the same time being professional.
J.P. Columbia, Ky
*Coming in to this course I knew nothing but going out I learned a lot.
L.W. Mt Sterling, KY
*I really enjoyed this class and now feel very confident in using a gun.
A.S. Mt Sterling, KY
*Thank you all for a VERY thorough and informative class. I enjoyed my
experience and appreciate you and your staff's time and effort.
C.C. Camargo, KY
*Loved it, very professional yet laid back. Great learning Atmosphere.
B.P. Mount Sterling, KY
*I feel more confident with the knowledge and gun handling. The course was fantastic.
H.S. Jeffersonville, KY
*I appreciated the patience and willingness to explain even the most basic concepts. To make us comfortable and go the extra mile. Your enthusiasm is inspiring and comforting. Thank you so much Eva and Steve.
P.S. Jeffersonville, KY
Location: Jeffersonville, KY 40337-9382